Friday, January 8, 2010

Cubicle Sweet Cubicle

Work was pretty exciting today. We started the day by having the office version of a birthday party for a girl who turned the big 2-3 today. I baked her a yellow cake with chocolate fudge icing and dinosaur sprinkles, and another girl put a banner up in her cube and purchased a “Birthday Girl” tiara and ribbon for her to wear. I got rave reviews on the cake, but I’m not terribly excited by them because I baked it from a box and really, what kind of effort does that really take? Things quickly returned to the mundane, but we had no idea of the excitement that was waiting for us.

At 12:30 we received an email from a supervisor telling us that if we had any desire to move to a different cubicle, we needed to let her know by 2 and there would be a raffle to reassign cubes. Within seconds I had submitted my name and was looking forward to the great cubicle lottery that I thought was at the very least, days away. But oh how wrong I was! At 2 o’clock we were released for our break and told to gather in one of the only open areas left to have the raffle.
I should probably note the location and description of my current cubicle so that you can fully understand the depth of the situation. As I type this I am sitting in a Grandma’s-Couch-Pink colored space that is located our of site of a window and 1.5 feet from a supervisor’s door. In fact, mid-sentence my supervisor popped in to ask if she could throw some items away in my trash can. I’m that close. Additionally, the three different portions of my desk do no come together as one. There is a gaping space between the right and the middle and then between the left and the middle. Also, I only have a key for one of my drawers, even though two more of them should have locking capabilities. It’s pretty tragic as far as cubicles go.

But as they are having to accommodate lots of new people in this building, lots of beautiful new gray cubes have been installed over the past couple of weeks. And some of those are right by the window. And they all have keys. And the desks come together. And the supervisors are a good distance away. Needless to say, I have to have one of those cubicles.

The first name they pulled was the Lex Luther to my Superman, but fortunately, she had decided that she wanted a cubicle on the other side of the office from where I had my heart set. And then the next name was drawn. And that name was Trista. You have no idea how excited I was. I was seriously even more excited than when I got the call about getting this job. It was a little ridiculous. So I marched over and stuck my name on a brand new window seat that is also conveniently located beside an aisle that leads to the outside world. It is, quite possibly, the best cubicle in this office. And it is mine. Cubicle life is sweet.

0 comments: