Friday, January 29, 2010

I'm Stressed About Mason Jars? Really?!

Every since my friend Stacey introduced me to http://www.weddingbee.com/ I've been in wedding-brainstorming-overdrive. Paul and I originally decided to do mix cds, a sort of wedding soundtrack, for favors. The problem with that is that the older family members, of which there are lots, wouldn't get a lot of use out of that. And don't even get me started on the amount of time it would take for the two of us to burn more than 100 cds on the dinosaurs that we call our laptops. I'd probably have to start burning them now to get them all done. Okay, maybe I wouldn't...but maybe I would! But then inspiration hit! You see, a couple weeks ago we decided that we're going to play up the rustic/chicken fried nature of our wedding and reception. We're going to have fried chicken, we being introduced to "Chicken Fried" by Zac Brown Band, our first dance is to "Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show. We don't have assigned seating or even a sit-down meal for that matter. We don't want stuffy. We want laid back. We want it to feel like a backyard bbq, just without the grills. So I decided that we could provide mason jars for drinks and they would double as favors. But I didn't just want to give mason jars. I thought we could have a candy buffet where they can fill their mason jars with treats before they go home. But then someone suggested that washing out jars would be messy and they wouldn't be able to dry them out enough to keep the candy from getting sticky. So I'm thinking that we can provide the mason jars and put a note on them (and possibly a clear sticker label with our names and the date) that gives instructions for use. For example:

How to Use Me

Enjoy a delicious beverage out of me.
or
Fill me with candy from the super-cool candy buffet.
or
Do both!
What do you think? Does it sound cute or stupid? I need opinions, people.
After I had stopped obsessing AS much about the jars, I moved on to music. I've known since about 2004 that I want to walk down the aisle, or brick walkway, as the case happens to be, to "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" by Bach. It sounds like joy and love and warm days. But what do I want my maids to walk to? I think I figured it out today. "At the Beginning" from Anastasia is wonderful, even as an instrumental. I toyed with the idea of "Everything" by Michael Buble but it lacks a little something without the lyrics.
While I was on YouTube trying to get inspiration, I stumbled across father/daughter dance songs. I didn't want to end up there. It just happened. I swear! The one song that I really want is also the one song that I know I don't want/can't have. "I Loved Her First" by Heartland makes me cry within two notes and I am not a pretty cryer. Some people can look pretty and dignified when they cry. I'm not one of those peoples. My nose gets snotty and my eyes get freakishly puffy. Particularly when I hear this song, I start the gasping for air cry and I just can't have that. And I didn't want to go with one of those,"You always gave me the best advice dad" songs because my dad is much more of the strong silent type so one of those wouldn't be accurate. So now I think I'm going to go with "Daughter" by Loudon Wainwright III. It's about a small child of a girl but I don't care.
Lastly, I know I can't afford fresh flowers. So I was going to, hopefully with the assistance of Paul's mom, wrap my own bouquets of silk yellow roses. But I don't always like the look of artificial flowers. But then today I found a picture of a paper flower bouquet and, to be honest, it was awesome! It was just the right amount of crafty and cutesy but doesn't look cheap like artificial flowers easily could. They don't look like I'm trying to trick you into thinking they're real. But doI really want to try to make 6 different bouquets? Well, seven if you include my throwing bouquet.


So what do you think? Could they be cute or a monumental mistake?

0 comments: