Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I'll Tell You What I Want What I Really Really Want

I like to cook. I like creating things and serving them to the people I love. I like that it's kind of like a little science experiment when I add different ingredients together and change flavors around. But do you know what I don't like? I absolutely HATE prepping fruits and vegetables for both cooking and raw consumption. I might consider giving up the rights to name my first born child if it means I never had to chop another onion, mince another garlic clove, peel another potato or slice another watermelon as long as I live. I might have daughter named Princess Moonbeam Eclipse, but I'd have cramp free, sticky-free hands. I used to scoff as my mom used an electric chopper to prepare onion and pepper for spaghetti and meatloaf, but now I realize that that little chopper was totally the way to go.

My hatred for all things chopping, peeling, slicing, dicing and mincing is part of why I was so looking forward to creating our wedding registry. My goal was to make this part of my life as easy as possible. Among other things I'm looking forward to...
Chef 'n Garlic Zoom. You put the clove in the little gadget, roll it across a flat surface, and chops it right up for you.

Zester/Grater. Because it's really hard to add lemon or orange zest to something without a zester. Serrated knives, despite what I thought in a sudden burst of not-genius, are not a substitute. An apple wedger. The word doesn't even BEGIN to describe how much I love these things.

And of course, a good ol' food processor so that I can chop everything I could ever want to chop and grind oreos and graham crackers for pie crusts. Yes!

So I still havent figured out how to make slicing a watermelon easier, but I guess I can deal with that for now.
Do you hate fruit and veggie prep too? Is it, like me, your most-hated kitchen chore, or is something else even more loathsome?

0 comments: