Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pilot Episode....err, Post

I have never felt more out of control of my life for a prolonged amount of time than I have over the past five months. In case you weren't aware, the following is a breakdown of the last five months:

April 4: I get my acceptance letter to the graduate program at the University of Maryland's school of journalism.

April 5: I start applying for every assistantship posted on UM's website.

May...something: I sign a lease to be one of three roommates in a fabulous three bedroom apartment in Arlington. I intend to move in June 1.

May 15ish: I decide not to move to Arlington until June 31.

May 20: I go on my first date with Paul who, as it turns out, is the guy of my dreams.

June 20: My bff and roommate gets married! It has nothing to do with having no control over life, but it deserves mentioning.

June 31: I move to Arlington.

July 1: I have a 5 minute interview for an assistantship in the Office of Israeli Studies. It is only 5 minutes because I'm not an expert in the field of Israeli Studies.

July 15: I start working at the only place in Arlington not to just hire me, but to even give me an interview, Starbucks.

July 16: I don't enjoy working at Starbucks.

August 1ish: I realize that I will not be getting an assistantship, and therefore no financial aid at all, and am forced to face the reality that grad school won't be happening right now because Homey don't play over $80,000.00 in student loans.

August 20: I move back home...to live with my parents...because I'm broke. Also, every one of my personal posessions, save for my clothes, few purses, and hygiene products get shoved in a storage unit, where they remain to this very day.

August...something:Ihave an interview with Universal American. They explain what my job will be and what my salary will be if I get the position.

September...something: I get the job at Universal American and sit around Wytheville, biding my time until I can move back to Roanoke.

September 25: I move back to Roanoke where I stay with Paula and his parents.

September 28: I start working, noticing that I'm not really doing the job I was hired to do.

October 1: I get yelled at by a pharmacist while making work calls. That night, my day improves when Paul gets down on one knee at the Mill Mountain Star, asks me to marry him, and gives me the most beautiful ring known to man.

October 8: I find out my position at work has been eliminated. While my boss discussed options with me about how I can stay employed there, the moral of the story is that I technically got laid off a week and a half after I started working.

I don't like not feeling in control. I don't like not knowing whether or not I'll be able to pay my loans or where my next meal is coming from. I didn't have to worry about the latter when I moved back with my folks, but I'm still worrying about the former at this very moment. And let me tell you, it's the pits.

All that being said, since I don't have control over a whole lot right now, I decided that I would gain a little bit of control over my words, even if I can't do much to control my world.

Unfortunately, after having spent the last four years constantly working on some sort of writing project, be it an article, a story, a poem, a letter, or a paper, the assignment well has run dry. So now I have to create assignments of my own. I will consider myself a success if I don't give up on this little project within the next month, and so should you.

Plus, there's so much to look forward to! Stay tuned for:


  • Moving for the fourth time in five months, and all the fun that comes with it
  • Attempting to find a new job or getting licensed to sell insurance
  • Wedding planning
  • My first Holiday season as a "we" and "us" instead of and "I" and "me" that I've become accustomed to over the past 22 Holiday seasons.

0 comments: