Tuesday, April 27, 2010

"Do You Do It Yourself?"

Bravo if you know where the above quote is from!

Paul and I will not be serving a traditional wedding cake. If we did that we'd have to have extra utensils and someone would need to cut the cake and that's just too fussy for me. For a while we were going to have cupcakes from Bubblecake, but then we realized that would be really expensive. So then I considered doing the cupcakes myself (with the assistance of some very lucky helpers, of course), but then I made Paul's birthday cake Sunday and, while it tasted good, it was all sorts of ugly. You see, I was not blessed with the icing gene, so whenever I make a cake, the final result is visually unfortunate, to say the least. I couldn't bear the thought of an eyesore of a wedding "cake" so we nixed the homemade cupcake idea. That brings us to the delicious dessert that will grace our reception: donuts!

I know what you're thinking, donuts are only for office breakfasts and Homer Simpson.

Or are they?

You see, about 10 minutes away from Santillane is a lovely little establishment called Blue Collar Joes. They make the single best donuts I've ever had in my entire life! Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Kreme, eat your heart out! They come in amazing flavors like chocolate with fudge and Reeses Pieces and Blueberry Pancake Breakfast, which involves topping a blueberry donut with maple icing and then topping the icing with BACON PIECES!!!!! Bacon pieces I tell you!! It's amazing!!! It's a pancake party in my mouth, people, and I will be serving them up to my loving wedding guests who will have QUITE the selection of flavors to choose from.

Now the next problem is, how in the world am I going to display these beautiful, sinfully delicious edible plates? On plates, of course! I came across a project the other day where I can create my own cake stands using plates, candle holders and epoxy. They will wonderfully mismatched, both in color and size, and they don't look too difficult to make. Take a look at these beauties that FutureMrsWalker posted to http://www.weddingbee.com/.






I really want to try to make one double decker stand that will hold my and Paul's donuts of choice for "cutting" and ultimately feeding to each other. Yes, that's correct, we'll be cutting our donuts.

Check out all of the Blue Collar Joe's flavors I have to pick from at http://www.bluecollarjoes.net/!

**Despite the fact that my previous two posts were complete jokes, this one is not. I am 100% serious and excited about donuts and plate/candle stick cake stands.**

0 comments: