Saturday, December 19, 2009

Excavating and Baking

Today marked mine and Paul' first real lazy day at home together since moving in together. The 16 inches of snow on the ground means that our cars were completely covered and that going to work would be a near-impossibility for him. Conveniently, Paul's boss called and said that he didn't have to come in today since we're so far away from the store and it likely wouldn't be busy enough for him to have to be there.

The first thing we did was venture out to dig Paul's car out of the snow. After about 10 minutes of pushing, sweeping and throwing snow, the car was mostly uncovered and we ventured up to Food Lion so that I could do the baking that I've been looking forward to doing for day now. After pulling into the wrong (un-plowed) entrance to the Food Lion parking lot, we got stuck for a while until Paul pushed me back into tracks and I parked just after plowing over about two feet of snow that had been pushed aside in the lot. Our drive home, happily, was much less harrowing than the drive there.

Once home I made us a delicious breakfast, if I do say so myself, and we watched Stripes. Then I set about peeling and dicing potatoes for potato soup. I just finished baking a few sheets of butterscotch, pecan and oatmeal cookies and the potato soup will be done in about an hour.

Life is good.

0 comments: